Wednesday, December 2, 2015

ON the second day of December

We had our first marking period award assembly. I had many perfect attendance awards, but the kids have been sick a lot this second marking period so next time there won't be so many kids on stage.

Kids being in school every single day is so important, actually it's the most important thing. If your child is not in school they miss so much. It might only be one day, but it could be the day that it "clicks" for them.

After many Math addition lessons of doing it in different ways I showed them how to use patterns and visually seeing what was missing.

I'll show you!

let's say we are looking for all the addends for the number 6....
We write....

0
1
2
3
4
5
6

then we find the addend to make them all the equations equal to 6.

0 +  6= 6
1 +  5= 6
2 + 4= 6
3 + 3= 6
4 + 2= 6
5 + 1= 6
6 + 0= 6

see the pattern of 0 to 6 and 6 to 0 on the other side of the equation?

After we wrote this chart for the number 10 Valentina said, "Mrs. Ruiz, I get it!!"

The Hallelujah Choir sang in my head that day and I wore the biggest smile!!
 I live for these moments.
What if Valentina were to be absent on that day? She might not have had that Aha! moment and struggled many more days, weeks, months, or years!

So happy she was there!   Please make sure your kids are in school every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment